What is Virtual Reality?
A graphical simulation of a real or fictional situation, from simple to complex display on computer display where the user can wander in the simulated situation.
- Training of operators
- With poor visibility on (maintenance) activities
- Visualization of hidden objects (during medical examinations or operations with X-ray visualisation), for example enabling the surgeon to see the foetus in the womb
- Visualization of geometrically distributed data invisible to the eye, such as infrared imaging
- To increase safety on human action
- Remote Handling Study Centre, Differ
- Possible to review a design without manufacturing hardware mockups
- Operators work accurately and efficiently
- Assembly and maintenance procedures can be developed before construction starts
- More efficient, shorter maintenance cycles
- Additional visual information available during operations
- Assurance on feasibility of motions (geometric, not necessarily mechanical)
- Security increases
- Every situation can be simulated